Thursday, October 9, 2008

Major progress





Since the last post the 242 has been completely dismantled. I removed the original B21FT engine and stripped the entire exterior down to prepare it for paint. BMW Alpine White III basecoat/clearcoat was chosen (as seen in top image). The hood was changed to the "flathood" style seen on the early 240s and special '83 242 Turbos. I also removed the original tan interior and will replace it with a nice low mile (not faded) black interior.

Once the car returned from the body shop, I installed a B230Ft engine pulled from a 1991 Volvo 940 Turbo that I parted out in the fall of 2007. Then the fun began...


1 comment:

eeyore said...

Wow,I can't wait to see it all back together!
You and I have a very similar story.
I too,have been searching for an early 80's 242 Turbo for several years and finally,last July the right one showed up.A 1982 garage queen with 143K on it.Much like yours,it hadn't been run much in the last six years.The(2nd)owner had it languishing in his garage 'till his wife demanded "SELL"!
It's a beautiful light blue metallic and it's ALREADY got all the good stuff done! But what you're doing is a great inspiration to me,and I'm going to continue to upgrade the car much the same as you have;with intelligence and good taste.

eeyore