Saturday, March 1, 2008

'82 242 Turbo - an introduction

This blog will chronicle the ongoing progress of my 1982 Volvo 242 Turbo build. Since I neither am nor claim to be an expert in vehicle performance modification, this project is intended to be a continuous learning process.

I purchased this car in May of 2007 from the original owner in Mountain View, California. After searching diligently for approximately six months (and casually for years!) for a clean, original 2-door Volvo 240, I came across this classified ad on the Volvo performance website turbobricks.com:
1982 2dr intercooled turbo for sale $3500

I am the original owner of this well maintained white on tan 1982 volvo turbo intercooled 2 door sedan. Over the last 5 years it has hardly been driven and parked in my carport. This car is not salvaged, has a clean title and every year has passed California smog tests. The tan interior leather is in good shape but there are some rips on the front bucket seat cushions.

Model: 1982 Turbo intercooled
Body Style: 2 Door Sedan
Engine: 4 cylinder fuel injected
Transmission: 4 speed manual with overdrive
Miles: 131k
Interior: Tan Leather
Exterior: White
Power assisted rack and pinion steering
Power assisted 4 wheel disk breaks
Front and rear stabilization bars
Front spoiler, ventilted disk breaks
5 spoke alloy wheels
Special black exterior trim
front and rear gas filled shocks
sliding steel sunroof with wind deflector
Air conditioning
GLT special edition leather upholstery
GLT grand sport package
The seller also provided several pictures of the car, which testified to its clean original condition:


After communicating with the seller extensively for about a week, I purchased a round trip ticket to San Jose, CA and back fully intending to buy the car. Luckily, I was able to stay with some family members in CA during my visit. Upon arriving to see the car I could tell right away that it was as clean as described. The test drive was equally impressive - the car felt a bit too quick for being stock - but more on that later.

I knew I had to pull the trigger on this one, so I paid the seller on the spot and he signed the title over to me, the second owner ever. The car was then shipped from Mountain View, CA to Burlington, VT, a stressful process (terrible communication!) but one that ultimately got the car to New England safely, without damage. So after paying the trucker yet another large wad of cash at 11:15pm on a Tuesday night, I took possession of the 242 Turbo and drove it home safely to my garage.

2 comments:

TJSWSI said...

looking to sell her, hit me up (=

Unknown said...

Car is Immaculate. Nice b23ft.